What to write in her birthday card, with the best messages from the 1920s and 1930s. Read on for ideas, greetings and great vintage photos...
Have you ever been stuck on what to write in that card for her birthday? Once not long ago, you'd have chosen a witty message in a shop-bought card and could be sure it would make her smile. But fashions have changed - those throw away words from the card company are now too easy to be special. Most modern cards are left blank inside for that important personal touch. So we're left with the problem: where to start when faced with that blank page?
Well, although we can't send the card company's printed messages we can be inspired by the best of them. I recently wrote how my designs are inspired by my collection of greeting cards from the 1920s and 1930s. And here I'd like to share some of my favourite vintage messages from their one hundred or so greetings. Many have faded with fashion, but some are still as delightful as when they were sent. So it's these (the classics and the corkers) that I've edited together for you below. I'm sure that any one, handwritten in a special card, will unstick a blank page… and make her rather happy.
Classic Vintage Birthday Messages
Ten classic birthday wishes from the 1920s and 1930s that stand the test of time…
1. "To wish you the best of everything this birthday
2. "This little card just comes to say 'Have an extra special day!'"
3. "May you have may happy hours on your birthday, and many happy days throughout the year"
4. "Best wishes, and with these, happy memories"
5. "Best wishes, greetings and kind thoughts for your birthday"
6. "May you have a string of smiles for your birthday"
7. "Birthday congratulations - may you always find happiness along the way"
8. "A birthday wish for luck and cheer, and adventure though the year"
8. "Many happy returns of the day, and may every happiness be yours on your birthday"
10. "On your birthday I am sure, so many think of you. But I want you just to know, I'm thinking of you too"
Birthday Verses - the Vintage Corkers
A birthday verse harks back to a less cynical time and these seven corkers make me smile. Maybe not for every card, but their vintage style will charm someone very special…
1. "Because you're such a jolly sport,
Because you're just a real good sort,
You deserve it, yes, you do,
The birthday joys I'm wishing you".
2. "A little card to greet you
In just the usual way
And bring sincere good wishes
For a very special day"
3. "A thought full of love, a wish full of cheer,
To one who grows sweeter and dearer each year"
4. "The birthday wish I send you is that you'll always be
As happy as the wish that comes to you today from me"
5. "Just the same birthday wish,
I really cannot beat it -
'A bright and happy birthday, dear',
And oft' I may repeat it!"
6. "In heartiest greetings
And words of good cheer,
This card comes today,
For your birthday is here!"
7. "To wish you joy on your birthday
And the whole year through,
For all the best that life can hold
Is none too good for you!"
I hope these vintage birthday greetings will help you write your own special cards. To see behind the scenes of how a card's made, you might like 'James Perfects the Perfect Print', or for more on my vintage greetings cards read 'How Rose's 1920s Greetings Cards Inspired Gifts for Good Luck'...